- Closely acquainted; familiar, close.
- (Of a place or setting) having an informal friendly atmosphere.
- Involving a very close connection.
- Private and personal.
- Imply or hint
- State or make known.
- All the visible features of an area of countryside or land, often considered in therms of their aesthetic appeal.
- A picture representing an area of countryside.
- The distinctive features of a particular situation or intellectual activity.
Statement: This work is about representing the first-person experience in landscape photography and my admiration for commonplace, transient beauty. This beauty is all around us, if only we take a moment to recognize it. I try to give it permanent form.
My approach towards the landscape is one of respect. I try to work simply, choosing tools that get in the way least between myself and the environment, and my vision and the print. These images reflect how I perceive the place. This is certainly not representational, nor idealized image making, but rather personal in its creation.
This project has had me on the move a lot, as it’s easier to see the amazing in the unfamiliar. Also, I’m happiest when I’m traveling with my camera. This work is about discovery and the experience of observation more than construction or formalistic concepts of photography. I have nothing but respect for artists like Abe Morrell that can do amazing bodies of work without leaving their living room, but so far I can’t. I photograph in the field. And sometimes literally in fields. And forests. And most often along a seashore.
My hope is that by sharing these images, others will seek out commonplace beauty in their own lives, or at least look up occasionally and see the world around them.