If I could offer new photographers one piece of advice, this would be it:
MAKE PRINTS OF YOUR PHOTOS
- Do this frequently… not every image, but the ones you respond to.
- Live with them.
- Give them away.
- Have them around.
- Show people.
- Listen to how you talk about your own work.
- Try sequencing (placing them in some sort of order, usually logical but maybe chronological or emotional or whatever, anything to help the viewer understand them).
- Make diptychs and triptychs – pair disparate images together to find new meaning, or expand/emphasize meaning.
- Cut your prints apart, overlap and connect.
All these things work when you have paper in your hand.
GO MAKE THINGS IN THE REAL WORLD.